If you’ve never worked with a coach before, you might be thinking,
“What’s the point in coaching anyway?”
So, if it helps, let me share a bit about why I love coaching so much and how I help my coachees. I always find a good story explains things better than a boring old list of reasons (zzzzz), so here we go…
My coaching journey actually started at the age of 9…
It probably should have been obvious to me I was destined to be a coach and mentor, when at the age of 9 I replied to my classmate: “I won’t do the work for you, but I will show you HOW.” You see, even back then, it was obvious to me that there was no point doing Daniel Jones’ (not his real name) long division sums for him. But I could see there was a benefit to him to show him how (given I’d finished my assignment and was only sitting there twiddling my thumbs, anyway).
I’ve always been a huge believer in helping people to do things themselves, not to do it for them. That’s why I love coaching so much. It can genuinely be like a magical process watching people pluck the answers to the problems – seemingly out of thin air. But of course, I know, they were there all along, they just needed me to help guide them.
I believe that if you already have the knowledge of how to solve the problem inside you, then coaching is the best way to unlock it.
That’s why my approach is to focus on coaching, rather than telling you the answer.
You know your situation better than anyone else. So, you’ll come up with the best solution for any problems or obstacles you may face. However, I recognise that sometimes you might not have the knowledge or experience that I have. In which case, I’m happy to pop on my mentor hat and share some of my experiences. The actions you take though, are always up to you, although I guide you on that.
I’m not going to swoop in on my golden chariot and give you the answers. I’m going to do something far, far better than that. I’m going to show you how to find your own personalised solution to your challenge, which is more effective than any solution anyone else could ever give you. And the Brucey bonus? You get to grow and learn too.
I’m also a big believer in finding the right coach for you. If you’re looking for a coach, then I can recommend finding out as much as you can about the coach and check their credentials. But most importantly, find out what they’re good at and whether that fits with what you need. Join their email list, listen to their podcast and follow them on socials, you’ll get an idea pretty quickly as to whether you think you’ll click. And then, when you’re ready, most coaches will jump on a quick call to give you the chance to see if you’re a good fit before they start working with you in coaching sessions.
Wondering whether I’m a good fit for you?
Benefits of working with me as your coach:
- You can finally bust the blocks holding you back – I’m highly intuitive, which means I can quite quickly tell when something is holding you back, and help you to realise what that is. Once that block is cleared, your business or role is often transformed for the better, and you’ll wonder what was ever stopping you from making progress.
- I dig deeply into any underlying issues you have in our coaching sessions – I’m an experienced journalist – and I use those skills to help us get to the heart of what’s really going on with you.
- You can stop beating yourself up for procrastinating – When you work with me, you realise the underlying reasons behind your procrastinating behaviour, and we create an actionable plan for you to move past it.
- Accountability for taking action on your goals – Once we find out what’s important to you, I keep you on track, by gently, but firmly keeping you accountable for your actions at the beginning of each session.
- You can find solutions perfectly tailored to you – unlike a generic course – coaching sessions with me will help you find a tailored solution for your business challenge – one that’s far more likely to be successful and often work more quickly.
- I have a gentle and relaxed approach, which puts you at ease and creates a powerful ‘thinking space’ for you.
- Creative thinking – When you work with me, I encourage you to find the best solutions for you – and my creative background helps you to find them.
- You can grow more quickly – Although I’m relaxed, I don’t let you off the hook with your actions. I make sure you achieve your goals – the result is growing your confidence in your role/your clarity and/or your business more quickly.
- A trusted friend – being a boss or business owner can be a lonely place. It’s difficult to find someone you can confide in, who’s not affected by your business. I can provide a judgement-free zone where you can talk in confidence and know I only have your best interests at heart.
- Empathy and understanding – Working in a variety of roles and workplaces over a 17-year-long career, I can quickly understand your situation. I have a background in corporate, small business and the media – working in a variety of different roles and workplaces, and with different people.
- You can be confident I know what I’m doing – I’m a (soon to be) qualified ILM level 7 coach and mentor. That means I’ve undergone a rigorous process to build my coaching skills to a high level (including many hours of coaching/mentoring practice).
- Flexibility – I offer virtual or in-person coaching sessions, depending on your location and your preference.
- Ethical approach – As a professional coach and mentor, I follow the EMCC’s Code of Conduct, (European Mentoring and Coaching Council). Which means I take an ethical approach to coaching and mentoring, and am always developing myself to get the best results for you. You can view the EMCC’s Code of Conduct here.
Well, what do you know? It ended up being a bit of a list anyway.
I hope you’re a little clearer on what coaching is now, and how the individual skills and experience of a coach can make a real difference to your life and business.
If you’d like to find out a bit more about my coaching services, you can find more info here. And if you’d like to get my regular Slurp mails, packed with tips and thoughts (where you can get to know me better), you can sign up here.